Sunday 21 July 2013

"You Can Call Me Damilola" - Yvonne Nelson



How are you enjoying your stay in Nigeria?
Did I tell you I’m half-Nigerian and half-Ghanaian? I was given a Nigerian name recently which makes me half-Nigerian. My Nigerian name is Damilola. It has been wonderful, I always say Nigeria is like a home for me. When I’m here, I do not feel like going back home again. But it’s just that everything seems to be faster here.


On being dumped..
Did anybody hear me say that? Nobody used and dumped me. As journalists, you should  know that your colleagues are fond of using sensational headlines to drag traffic to their blogs and websites. At the end of the day, I did not say somebody used and dumped me. I don’t remember saying anything like that.

But what actually happened between you and Iyanya?
I guess it is out there. I granted two interviews on this whole thing; Bella Naija and Toolz(The Juice). I don’t want to repeat myself. My interviewers took what they wanted to take away from the interviews I granted them. I don’t have any control over what they decide to publish or put out there.


How do you address the allegations of lightening your skin?
Do I look like someone who is bleaching? One thing people should understand is that we use a lot of photo tricks.If you watch our movies, for instance, I look a little bit dark but if you see my pictures, I look fair in complexion. Commonsense should tell anyone that the pictures are treated. What happened is that I posted my new picture online and people started alleging that I was bleaching my skin. That’s how the whole thing started. My mum is fairer than me, and my siblings are all fair in complexion. I don’t bleach and I don’t intend lightening my skin.

Culled from Vanguard

No comments:

Post a Comment