Wednesday 13 March 2013

Dereck Chisora Issued New British Boxing License




Dereck Chisora has been issued a new British Boxing Board of Control licence, promoter and manager Frank Warren has confirmed.

Heavyweight Chisora was involved in a brawl with London rival David Haye in February 2012 following his world title defeat by Vitali Klitschko in Munich.

The Board withdrew his licence to box after a hearing on 14 March last year.

But Chisora has now been reissued with a licence and will fight in a 10-round bout on 20 April at Wembley Arena.
Play media

"I'm glad that this whole episode is finally behind me and I can carry on with my boxing career in my own country and with a British Boxing Board of Control licence," said 29-year-old Chisora.


"I would like to thank everyone who has kept faith me over the troubled months.

"I look forward to repaying their loyalty with my performances in the ring as opposed to my action outside of it."

Chisora was roundly condemned for his behaviour when he unsuccessfully challenged Klitschko for the WBC heavyweight title.

Having already slapped Klitschko at their weigh-in and spat water in the face of his opponent's brother, Wladimir, just before the fight began, Chisora became embroiled in a distasteful brawl with Haye in the post-fight news conference.

Chisora and Haye met in the ring at Upton Park in July to settle their argument.

But controversially both had to use licences from the Luxembourg Boxing Federation, due to Chisora's being withdrawn and Haye not holding one having technically retired when the incident in Munich occurred.

Former WBA champion Haye stopped Chisora in the fifth round of their clash in east London.

"I'd like to particularly thank the Luxembourg Boxing Federation for their support," added Chisora.

Warren added: "I'm delighted that the British Boxing Board of Control has made the right decision and re-instated Dereck's licence and the slate is now clean.

"He is an exciting fighter who always gives 100%. We will announce who Dereck will be fighting at Wembley Arena shortly.

"But it's great to have him back in action and we've got some big plans for him."

Culled from BBC UK

No comments:

Post a Comment